Tuesday, August 05, 2008

My Mi Goreng Recipe

I have a little recipe for Mi Goreng, and no, I am not talking about fried noodle in Malay Language. I am talking about the internationally acclaimed instant noodle by IndoMie® Pt Indofood Sukses Makmur Tbk, Jakarta 14430, Indonesia.

Yup this IndoMie Mi Goreng.
Well you might think, just about every single Tom or Dick in this world knows how to cook IndoMie. Just boil some water, put the noodle in, wait a few minutes until it's cooked, drain the noodles, mix in the MSG-rich sachets, and an instant delicacy awaits.

BUT.

While I followed the instruction throughout the years to the last fine print, I have always felt that the noodle is a bit too stretchy to my liking. Some "elastic tendon" kind of feel. And the MSGs never felt thick enough, not salty and sweet enough. I know this sounds so unhealthy, but really, who can resist Indomie once they try their first serve in their lives? :P

So last year, when I had Indomie one day, what happened was I sort of put together a better tasting version of Indomie. It is springy but not stretchy, and the flavouring simply tasted superb to me. Thick, sweet and salty. Or put shortly, there was simply nothing more you could ask for in a pack of instant noodle. I have been cooking IndoMie this way since.

And today, I am going to share my favourite recipe:
  1. Cook noodles (obviously)
  2. Without any delay, proceed to prepare all the flavouring sachets (except the fried onion) in the bowl. The plastic sachets must be cut using scissors instead of tearing by hand. This is essential for the timing and to prevent dirtying your clothes.
  3. Proceed immediately to drain the noodle thoroughly with a kitchen sieve. Do the first two seconds of sieving under running cold water.
  4. Mix the noodle thoroughly with the flavouring in the bowl.
  5. Sprinkle the fried onion on top.
  6. Devour the fantastic Mi Goreng!
It seems that the time spent by the noodle in the boiling water is essential to the success of getting springy, half-tender noodle. Your mileage may vary, and so is your tastebud. So find what's best for you, and enjoy!

Disclaimer: I have not been eating IndoMie as much as I used to. I don't think I have even eaten one box yet this year; while in the first year I used to have enough to be used as lecture note containers. Please consume IndoMie moderately and responsibly! :D

p/s: In fact in the talk page of the Indomie Wikipedia article, there are even some creative cooking methods involving some other additional flavours and ingredients. :P Indomie fans rejoice!

10 comments:

RJ said...

LOL.
I usually will add erm around 75% cooked eggs with my Mi Goreng, and it tastes good as well!!! :D

I used to like Cintan a lot. But there's no Cintan in US and I resorted to IndoMie, and it was awesome!!! Hahahaha

crushedguava said...

how is your way of cooking indomie any different from a normal way?

crushedguava said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jasmine said...

Why does Indomie seem to be everyone's favourite? How bout other brands? I have entered the college time of peak instant noodle consumption! Hahaha...and strangely, I like the noodles soggy.

Joanne said...

Indomie is like the staple food for many kiwiboys!

I like my indomie soggy but will try your recipe out ^^

Anonymous said...

eh yang u r aware that the aunty selling tok tok mee does the same thing as well right?

well, i do the same thing too when i cook my noodles.

YP

SilverIsle said...

Hmm... Interesting post! =D

This is how I usually cook my IndoMie:

1. Microwave noodles in water on high for 6 mins. I'm just too lazy to wait for the water to boil and bla bla bla.
2. Rinse noodles with cold water.
3. Set up a pan, add a tablespoon of oil.
4. Throw in your noodles, put whatever vege in if you want, add all sachets and mix. I usually put only half of the seasoning powder. (Trying my best to be healthy eating unhealthy food you see. =P)
5. Adjust own seasonings as you like. I like adding sesame oil, chili oil, garlic chili sauce, and sweet soy sauce.
6. *slurps*

I know my way of cooking IndoMie makes it not that "instant" anymore but it's really nice and juicier plus spicier. Haha. But yea, I only do that occasionally, not all the time.

Dixon said...

U reminds me of my days in NS. Highest record is 5 packs per day. inclusive all meals provided in NS. Kudos to me. LOL

Eric said...

You reminded me of my freshmen and sophomore years in Michigan!

changyang1230 said...

rj: Cintan is nice? I have never tried it.

crushedguava: It's only visible to the ring wearer LOL. No la, nothing too special. The cold water rinsing part, and the shorter cooking time.

jasmine: Donno leh, for me Indomee beats all the other brands. But it's not like I have tried many brands also la.

Joanne: Soggy not nice for me la, the saltiness is reduced because of the water. :P

YP: Haha all great men cook alike? :P

Silverisle: MASTER! Salute!

dixon: Wahhh... unhealthy larr!

Eric: I didn't realise that they sell Indomie in Michigan too. Totally global business.