Monday, July 10, 2006

World Cup Madness

Zidane's last footballing act - a headbutt!!
Yesterday night I stayed up late to watch the World Cup final, and for the first time I am not regretting it. The final was simply spectacular and entertaining. Although it didn't produce many goals (of course I am not counting the penalties), the skills and the dramas actually quite summed up this World Cup - shocking, unbelievable, and lots of penalties.

As you have seen above, this is the end of Zinedine Zidane, one of the footballing legends ever alive. I couldn't even let the sight sink in me when I saw the replay! Sigh.. What a way to end his career in disgrace due to a moment of madness!

I read that it was a nip in Zidane's left nipple and then a racial slur that provoked him. But what? After having played football for 15 years, why can't he just laugh away whatever Materazzi was saying or poking? Sigh, he chose to bring ignominy to himself at the end of a scintillating career. I guess billions of TV spectators learnt yesterday that skills are only as good as your emotion when human atrocity comes into the picture. No matter what, it's unprofessional.

And to put it in a nutshell, I quote from Domenech, the coach of the French team:
"When one has to put up with what Zidane had to and the referee doesn't do anything, one understands. You can't excuse it, but you can understand it."

Raymond Domenech


Note: Brisbane is fun, but hot. :)

2 comments:

SilverIsle said...

Lol. I love Zidane with his shiny head. Kekeke. =P

ITALY won World Cup 2006~!!!

Jiun Wuu said...

Honestly,I like wat Zidane done...Headbutt?not enough,u should punch again once he got the red card...hey,this kind of carreer ending,who would have that?Its only Zidane!!