Saturday, May 27, 2006

Royal Exhibition Building


The Royal Exhibition Building means many different things to Melburnians. For most of the pitiful students though, it's where their nightmares happen. For me, this is the place I am going to when the countdown timer on the left strikes zero - the exam hall.

It's ironic how this iconic symbol of Melbourne is used as the most dreaded place during the exam season. You can see that the REB is so beautiful, from the picture above. Now, if the facade is glorious, the decor inside is even more impressive (pic on the right). I can still remember the moment I first entered the hall in the first semester exam last year - I was awestruck. While my result achieved inside is nothing to be proud of, I can at least have pride in having exam in one of the most beautiful exam halls in the world. Unless you have your exams in Westminster Abbey, of course.

Oh ya, I haven't mentioned that the Royal Exhibition Building is part of the only site in Melbourne, Victoria to be listed as the UNESCO World Heritage Site - Carlton Gardens and Royal Exhibition Building. The reason it has got listed in the heritage site is because of the significance of the building (as the only few surviving "exhibition building" in the world from the 19th century) and also the botanical significance of the surrounding gardens.

Oh well... probably another reason to be proud of having my exams there - who else here have their exams in a World Heritage site? :P

Duh. Does't give me any inspiration for studying though, having my exams there. I have just wasted 20 minutes typing this out. Enjoy, and fellow UniMelb students, be proud of your exam hall!

7 comments:

Winson Kang said...

Oh my goodness, it is kinda unbelievable knowing that yiu guys actually have exam in this RYH rather than in your Uni campus. Err, the RYH isn't in the campus, is it? I always have my exams in the MPSH which is kinda hmm...so so so so ordinary...EWWHHH...

StanleyYP said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
StanleyYP said...

i will be having my exam in a theatre. watched 'saturday night fever' there last month n this monday im goin to sit for my consti paper there. some of my medic frens would be having their papers in the Senate House (where graduation is held every year n where the Queen received her degree). it seems that they want to screw us up by having the exam in an intimidating atmosphere.
but this melbourne hall looks very nice....gorgeous.....i dun mind staying there...hehe....
btw, i dun mind taking exam in westminster abbey. but then they charge RM70 per entry....so i guess it;s not a good idea. (but frankly melbourne hall looks nicer than westminster abby...the latter has nothing special other than having some bodies burried under the floor.....:P)

ShouFarn said...

I had an exam there last year, and midway through there was classical chamber music drifting by. It was almost at the end of the 3 hour bio paper and i was almost delirious by then. I thought i was hallucinating, hahaha. Others heard it too.

When i was having my maths exam there last year there was a protest of some sort going on outside. So annoying. Loud abnoxious techno and pop music was played, along with demonstrative chants plus slogans. Wanted to go out there and mutilate them with my pencils.

nh said...

This is sooo... nice. Wow, you are lucky to be a student of Melbourne University (Isn't this a crap?!!).

Anyway, wishing you best of luck in your exams..

changyang1230 said...

Winson: It is REB lar, how did you come up with the acronym RYH? EWWWHH... :D :D Haha, yeah, it is not a part of university, rather, it is some sort of old exhibition building which is well maintained and is still glorious... It's kinda cold inside, though, because it's quite open air..

stanleyyp: Eerm, haha, yeah, it's rather beautiful, but after a few examas nobody come to appreciate the building's gorgeousness anymore...

Shoufarn: Haha, how come you always have different nickname one? Eerm, you were so unlucky.. When I had my exams there, most of the time it's rather quiet...

Sophisticatedsoul: Haha, lucky in this aspect only larr... :P But in general Melbourne U is rather nice, though. However, there are still some rotten eggs among the academic staff which kinda piss me off sometimes.. But I guess we can't avoid it anywhere we go, this is kinda human nature...

ShouFarn said...

Shou Farn is my real name. I got tired of using a weird nick all the time. Grew out of that phase long time ago but never bothered to correct it, haha. until now, that is.