Monday, October 15, 2007

How Does It Feel Like to Die?

Death comes in many guises, but one way or another it is usually a lack of oxygen to the brain that delivers the coup de grâce. Whether as a result of a heart attack, drowning or suffocation, for example, people ultimately die because their neurons are deprived of oxygen, leading to cessation of electrical activity in the brain - the modern definition of biological death.

If the flow of freshly oxygenated blood to the brain is stopped, through whatever mechanism, people tend to have about 10 seconds before losing consciousness. They may take many more minutes to die, though, with the exact mode of death affecting the subtleties of the final experience. If you can take the grisly details, read on for a brief guide to the many and varied ways death can suddenly strike.

Read more here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

a very disturbing but informative article. disturbing even more because i had someone who died of an electrocution.

wonder why the scientists publish on drowning or falling from a high point. meant to make someone who is thinking of attempting suicide to reconsider?

changyang1230 said...

I am sorry about the electrocution.

I guess they published it simply from the inquisitive point of view, and I don't think they have suicide options in mind when they wrote it.

Personally I have found this article captivating (although not necessarily in a positive way) because I have always pondered about death and the feeling when one is dying. So it was a really good read for myself.

KC said...

For Gods, keep the secret of life, hidden from humans; man did, however, figured out one secret, how to use fire. As Zeus punished them, for the worst thing he can think of, something so terrible, Divider Hegel called it the source of all mortal sufferings.

Any guess what punishment he came up with?

I was finding you! Hope you can give me the answer. I can allow you ten guesses. Answer will be reveal in my blog by Nov!

Sorry, this thing is not a comment to your post.

Anonymous said...

Well,it is not difficult for us to define "die" but how are we going to define "life"???

I remember that "life" had once been defined as a "breath" in and a "breath" out.

However,if u r really "conscious" at any present moment, u r still alive!

changyang1230 said...

Neptune: It looks more like an advertisement for your blog, haha.

Jyue: Eerm, I guess the definition doesn't matter much... breath-in and breath-out is definitely a bad definition as people can stop breathing for quite a while before they lose consciousness, not to mention to lose their lives.

But yeah, 100% agree that being conscious and "alive" is the most important part of having a life. :)

KC said...

Aiya, so easily you revealed my intention but never mind hehe, I was just thinking it could be fun too, besides adventising my blog, haha.

Kill 2 birds with one stone!