Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Question Of The Day

Dear World, I am leaving you because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool
~~ George Sanders, British actor

And now, in keeping with Channel 40's policy of always bringing you the latest in blood and guts, in living color, you're about to see another first - an attempted suicide.
Shot herself during broadcast.
~~ Chris Chubbuck, newscaster, d. July 15, 1974



Yesterday I read about the late Leslie Cheung in Wikipedia. The famous actor committed suicide in Hong Kong on April 1, 2003 by jumping from the 24th floor of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. He was 46 years old. Most famously, he left a suicide note as follows:

Depression(沮丧、抑郁)。多谢各位朋友,多谢麦列菲菲教授。呢一年来很辛苦,不能再忍受,多谢唐先生,多谢家人,多谢肥姐。我一生没做坏事,为何这样......

Leslie

[Summary by Wikipedia]
He was depressed followed by conferring his gratitude to his friends Lydia Shum among others as well as thanking his fans before ending on a plaintive mood stating that he has done no wrong in this lifetime, and that he was disappointed that his life should have to end like this.

Many people didn't do anything wrong, yet they died from cancer, accidents and tsunamis. Yet, many people did the most obnoxious crimes yet they remain at large until their death. [to be continued]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I thought of committing suicide (this thought just came across my mind naturally when I got too sick of studying). And I think, many other people around me, will have the same thought as well, when they face problems or depressions.
I had never realized that I'd have such a sinful thought. But, it will always remain to be a thought and no action will be taken to make it real (hopefully). It's just a mere thought that appeared in my mind, and I should never take it seriously. Right?
Afterall, every granted life is precious, and there is no way one can take away his/her or others' lives. Yet, the world is never a just place to live at. We see umpteen cases when numerous innocent lives are taken away. Tsunamis, wars, and the list goes on and on. All of these make me wonder: If God really exists, why He let all these happen while almighty He has the power to save these lives? Further questions arise: How could He bear to see the sufferings of His people, when the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer? And those who do nothing wrong suffer but those who commit crimes are not punished? (Hope these questions won't offend anyone reading this blog; they are just some questions that pop up in my mind when I'm too bored, no, actually when I'm too lazy to do my work. Human brains are used to think intellectually, aren't they? So, here I fully utilise my brain...:p)
Anyway, I digress. I don't really think there will be answers to these questions, and questions regarding life and death. What we can do is, to live our lives to the fullest. Enjoy what you have today, and always improve yourselves towards betterment. That's what I think the purpose of life...Just my two cents though.

P/S: This comment is just written out of my messy mind. I myself can't understand what I was trying to express at times. So, if this doesn't make sense to you, just ignore it.

changyang1230 said...

woody: Thanks for your opinions!

anonymous: Agreed, live your life to the fullest! Take an example of the "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin who recently demised at the age of 44... Although he has not lived a long life, he has nonetheless lived his life to the fullest whenever he is following his passions. By the way, I am very interested in knowing who you are... But I have no way of knowing today..