Monday, November 05, 2007

A Fresh Voice - My New Blog

Update 16 Nov 07: See below.

Blogs are funny things. When people first found out about blogs, everyone went head over heels to join the blogging bandwagon. Then, people started sharing their darkest secrets and meanest comments about each other on a daily basis. In the process they forget what they are doing is equivalent to writing their diary and curses and signing it off on a train station. Then some people realized that they went too far in parading their privacy. So they either delete their blogs, or turn the blog private. Some people just leave their blogs and go play Facebook instead.

I am a proponent of a public blog. My logic is, if you are to write something suitable for sixty invited readers, that same thing should be quite suitable for the other six billion people in the world. My story, yea why not. If it's an overly intimate story, I wouldn't let sixty people know anyway. Of course experience, preferences and priorities are different for each person, so you have your own stand in this issue and I can't shove my opinion down your throat. For me, since I am not a cute guy or a hot chick, there's no compelling reason for me to write private blogs. The other reason I don't like private blog is that I now have to log in to the individual blogs to check for updates; instead of getting all updates at one place in Google Reader. But that's another story.

Yeah, so I never felt the need to write a private blog. But there's something down there in my throat. Something is stuck, waiting to be released, yet due to circumstances I always have to refrain from spitting it out. Sometimes I step over the arbitrary line and write something "sensitive", and my kind friends would advise me to take it down to avoid dire consequences. So over the time, I am quietened. Like many other people out there. Like our newspapers. Like our aspiring young politicians. So those are the time that I told myself to be careful. To walk on the thicker ice. To tread the thin line between "safe commentary" and "subversive literature" carefully.

But today, I decided that I should no longer keep my mouth shut. There are things that I care about, and that I hope others care about. So I am writing a new, semi-private blog to share my thoughts and opinions. For obvious reasons I am not linking to the new blog from this blog. If you are interested, leave me your email address using the "real time messaging" feature. Or the chatterbox. Or in the comments. Or MSN. Or email. Anything. I will get back to you, and I look forward to seeing you there.

Update 16 Nov 07:

The new blog is now totally private. It's located at http://frank2c.blogspot.com, but you will need my invitation email to gain access to it. If you are interested to read it, write me an email (changyang1230 [at] gmail dot com) and tell me who you are, and I will get back to you.


NOTE:
1. I will still write in My Little Moments as usual, the new blog is only for "sensitive" posts.
2. Please read and agree to the terms and conditions of the new blog before you proceed to the contents.

23 comments:

nh said...

Count me in please. Thanks. ;)

By the way,

"Some people just go off blogs and play Facebook instead."

saya terasa sedikit pedas la.. :P

And I assume that you are sick from your previous post. May you recover soon (so that you can get back to your interesting patient story). :P I sound so inconsiderate. Hah..

King Ung said...

can't hold my urge to leave my blogspot gmail address here. if you try to turn another blog become semi-private-viewable, hope you can sent me an invitation to read your new blog.

WP said...

Oh yeah, I know the feeling of having to tone down posts or to refrain from writing something just because it won't go down well with the readers. Which is why I have another (fully) private blog just to store my thoughts. But then again, there is a dilemma when a post is suitable for all but a few, what should I do with it then?

I'm intrigued about the sensitive posts :P But there are terms and conditions? Why don't you put them here so that we can decide before going to it?

changyang1230 said...

WP, I would like to put it here, but then once it's here, people could just google the exact phrases and find my other blog in the future.

Basically the "terms" is nothing complex. I simply ask my readers not to reveal my identity to any other people, or refer to that blog in any way that could lead to identification of myself as the author.

You are welcome to leave your email address somewhere in this blog, and I shall send you the blog terms and/or URL.

flyingspirit said...

another reader here eh:) btw, 2 week hols has started! hahahaha

Unknown said...

u sure know what to do!! ;) can i still anyway link that private blog in my blog? easier for me to click and open it up. hehe. cuz anyway it's private so no one who has no id can read wert! :P

Pingping said...

May i be one of the readers also? u can just drop a msg in MSN.

Anonymous said...

ooh, i will be MORE interested in the sensitive blog. haha.

Jie Ni said...

Hm.. may I ? Thanks :)

SilverIsle said...

I want! I want! I want! =P

tanseokkheng@gmail.com

Hope it's not too late. Thanks a lot first oh.

Chyn said...

heEx! am i allowed to join in the "patness" of your new blog?
:D

Celest said...

Hahaha.... welcome to the world of semi-privacy :P

Count me in... celest_yeoh [at] yahoo [dot] com

vseehua said...

wonder how private it will be after all the invitations :P

My English teacher in secondary school complaining about her students revealing too much about themselves through their blogs and that it will ruin their lives later on. I guess she just can't accept that blogs are sort of like a new kind of diary.

Anyway, this things that i've posted in my blog are for public viewing. If I want to keep anything private to a certain circle, I will tell them myself...

changyang1230 said...

It is still private as of now. I constantly monitor the search engine results for the blog address and the links to it. :)

I challenge you to find out my new blog, See Hua. :P

vseehua said...

Preliminary search reveals your name all over the net :P

Anyway, I think I have to concentrate more on my lab report rather than looking for something more inconclusive :P

changyang1230 said...

I mean find my other blog, not my name online. Of course my name is all over the place, I never made any effort in hiding my identity online all the while. For this private blog, I can't even find it by googling the URL directly.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
changyang1230 said...

Sent an invitation to you, WC.

I deleted the comment to protect your email address - if you put it in a public place like in this comment form, automated programs can easily fetch the address and send spam to you. :)

Anonymous said...

I sampat can?

I am naturally gepo. :P

changyang1230 said...

Hi ubikentang,

Yes sure, just give me your email address via email, PM or any other means.

Anonymous said...

Hey I've put my email under the Contact section of my blog. :P

Anonymous said...

Hi, can I read your new blog too?

Xon said...

Chang Yang,i would like to read it too. =)

hehehe.Never thought its a request basis. =P

my email is the same as my msn. thanks in advanced.