Friday, August 05, 2005

Computer & Cockroach

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

What feature do two of them share in common?

They both starts with C!! (haha, I know it’s lame but just spare your three seconds to laugh a bit, give face a bit can or not?)

No larr, the answer is.. (drum roll + tan tan tan tan) both of them can be found in SCRC in the medical building!

The story goes like this. This afternoon I had 45 minutes break before the 4 hour body thermoregulation practical class. Out of boredom and since I have already eaten my lunch, I went to the SCRC alone to browse the net and check my emails.

At first everything went well in SCRC, and I found myself more and more in love with the iMac after getting the hang of it. It’s simply so elegant and intuitively designed! Well, I know most people would have rebutted me that “Hey, it’s not as user-friendly as Windows!”... But heck, how many years have we been using Windows, and now you are comparing it with an operating system which existence you didn’t even know about! And for all I care, a Martian would have found Earth a harsh environment, it’s all because it is too used to the Martian environment. So back to iMac, use it, and after a little bit of trial and error you would almost like it as much as I do.

Oh ya, should have continued with the story about the two C’s. Errm, on the iMac, I noticed that the stupid IE is no where to be seen anymore, and to my greater delight now all iMac in SCRC is armored with Firefox! Yea yea yea!!! Go Firefox! (Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Mozilla Foundation a.k.a. Mozilla Corporation, whatever promotion I am doing for Firefox earns me zero cents in Melbourne)

Yeah, what an irony isn’t it? Most people in our computer labs would use Internet Explorer to surf the Internet, in total ignorance with the fact that Internet Explorer for Mac was last updated in 2003 (that means it’s badly outdated, unsafe and can’t view new pages like Gmail correctly) and also that Mac OS comes preinstalled with much better Safari! Hmm... Actually this proves nothing else than the success of M$ of brainwashing the most Internet population with the fallacy that Internet = Internet Explorer. ~~Sigh~~

Well, let’s get back to the two C’s, again. So I was mesmerized by the full power of Firefox, in the realm of elegant Mac OS. It really feels so different you know, the preference box, the drop down menu, it just feels so much a class above that of Windows’. Probably I will stay more in the computer lab next time...

Hmm. When time is almost up and I was about to log off, I saw a cockroach crawling on the floor about 6 feets away. Gosh, this is the first cockroach I saw since I came to Melbourne, and well, no surprise here, it looks just the same like the ones I always saw back in Malaysia. No acclimatization or sweat gland hypertrophy here. Oops, I got confused with my PBL... :P

So that’s it, the end of my story about the computer and the cockroach! If you felt that this is an anticlimax and I have been talking more about Firefox & iMac rather than the cockroach, you are absolutely correct. Muahahahahahhahaah...

In fact, the main purpose I am writing this is to promote Firefox and iMac. Not cockroaches. Dinner time!!

7 comments:

Winson Kang said...

Muahaha...a lame and rather stupid posyt but yet fun reading one..Hmm...maybe you should change the post's title to maybe, you know " Fantastic Firefox"? "Firefox unmatched"? blah blah blah....

day-dreamer said...

nice pic...

dinner time? what's cooking? Cheesy cockroach? or co-cockroach cake?

muahahaha!

Eric said...

Haha... Same here. I like to use Mac too since January. I think the interface is unique and cool. If I could afford, I will get myself a 20" iBook instead of a desktop!

Unknown said...

Wei, very funny oh ur post. I laughed from the beginning until the end of it. It had been a long time i didnt browse ur belog. Exam in 2 days. I seldom online chatting nowadays because staying outside campus, no more free online service like in hostel last time. Byebye n take care ya...

changyang1230 said...

Winson: If I put that as a title, I think nobody would have read it.. :D

Day-dreamer: Ouh? You want one? hehe!

Jimmy: Thanks for dropping by! IE is pretty good if you have enough security measures to protect it. But consider this, say one were to choose something to keep a boxful of jewellery. There is a box made of corrugated paper, which you then strengthen with 100 layers of super glue + super-strong nano carbon fibre, and call anti-pest expert to check the box everyday; another box is made of strong aluminium which comes with a simple but impregnable lock. Which box would you choose to keep the jewellery? Of course, I wouldn’t say IE is a piece of rubbish though, I have been loving it until the pop-ups and the spywares have irked me enough to dump it. So if you love IE and have really good security measures, I totally agree with keeping IE as a browsing tool... :D

Eric: Oih, since when you started abandoning your beloved M$? I go tell Bill Gates ouhh.. :P

t_t: Haha, funny meh? I thought not funny one, my friends always say I have a bad sense of humour. Maybe different people have got different taste larr.. same gene sure same taste.. :P Anyway, good luck for your exams!! All the best to you.

nh said...

Cockroaches?

Had 2 close encounters with them in my hostel already.

If I'm not mistaken, that was the first time I held the insect-repellent and spraying it with all my might, chasing the pitiful cockroach out of sight, and found it dead behind a broom the next day.

changyang1230 said...

Haha.. yeah, there were really a lot of cockroaches in Akasia... I even heard once that someone who were wearing shoes in the morning found a cockroach in her shoe...